Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Faith in the face of adversity

It is easy to praise GOD when things are going great. But it's not so easy when things are not so good or even worse when life sucks. At the first of the year I had experienced a very nerve racking, angering problem with my insurance company. Time after time, I talked to and was put on hold by about 20 different people trying to resolve a very simple issue. I was told more than once that "We are sorry that person gave you incorrect information" as I was told more than once my issue was resolved and then found out it wasn't resolved. I prayed and prayed with faith and continued praying that my issue would be resolved while praising GOD still in the midst of this adversity. But time after time it wasnt getting resolved, and at one point I stopped praising GOD, I began cursing at him, I went as far as to tell GOD that I was angry with him and I told him that he sucked, once the anger began to subside, I asked him "Father why have you forsaken me? Why have you failed to help me?" And so I questioned what good my faith was, and what good is praising GOD if my prayers werent being answered. As the situation with the insurance company was trying my patience, I knew not to pray for patience, I learned a long time ago not to pray for patience because then GOD will really put you to the test to learn patience. so..................................... I went on, bordering on impatience and worry to the point that I felt physically ill and exhausted. But my wife began to speak to me, telling me that praying in faith is not like having a magic Geenie, I then became distracted while examining my faith and trying to figure out what faith really was, if it was not what I thought it was, what was it? And I began to realize that I thought that having faith and praising GOD in the midst of adversity meant that GOD would help me just how I wanted him to if I belived enough. (Which is partly due to the fact that usually when I pray, things happen.)
So as the grim situation with the insurance was coming along, and I was getting promised that the issue would be resolved, I examined what faith really meant: and to me I discovered Faith is the belief that GOD is there, He cares, and He Is In Control. I learned that Faith can move mountains, but it will be moved in GOD's way, and in GOD's time, not ours. And I learned that praising GOD during tough times was not a guarantee of things going my way, I learned that praising GOD through adversity is about aknowledging that He is Righteous and Faithful. I have a feeling this is not my last lesson from GOD that includes adversity, but I'm willing to go through the hard times in order to learn more about GOD and grow in faith.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Josh. God is certainly the God both of the good times and of our bad times. Hang in there. I know what it's like to be angry at God. Irrationally, I left Him one time because my selfish ambitions were not working out. Even though I planned on doing some good things with my strived-for riches, God knew of greater things. Thanks for sharing, bro!

    ReplyDelete